Blog Archive

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Romeritos: A Mexican Green


Romeritos for Lent
by Victoria Challancin

The fact that romeritos (Suaeda torreyan) look like rosemary and taste like spinach makes them both a visual treat and a gustatory pleasure. This vegetable, which plays an integral culinary role in Mexico at Christmas and again during Lent, is often featured in recipes with chile-rich mole (romeritos con mole) or in patties with dried shrimp (romeritos con tortitas de camarón).

Romerito actually means “little rosemary” in Spanish. But it is there that the similarity ends. Though it resembles a soft, non-woody form of the herb rosemary, the flavor is somewhat tart and naturally salty. In fact, romeritos taste a lot like spinach. As an evergreen shrub that grows wild in marshy areas, romeritos tolerate a high saline content in the soil, and for this reason are often quite naturally salty.

Both wild and cultivated greens play an important role in the cuisine of Mexico. Many are free, or at least very economical to use, easily available, and provide a nutritional boost to various dishes. But because they hold a special place in both the feast and daily foods of Navidad (Christmas) and Cuaresma (Lent), romeritos cross socio-economic lines by appearing on the tables of the rich and the poor.

While I can’t seem to find any substantial information about the nutritional value of romeritos, you can bet they provide both fiber and iron, as well as other minerals and vitamins. Neither the phytochemical nor ethnobotanical databases that I enjoy reading have much information on Suaeda torreyana, yet romeritos are an important food source here in Mexico. My research shows that they grow in Arizona, Texas, Utah, and the Colorado Desert as well as in Mexico, but as far as I know, they don’t figure into the non-Hispanic culinary tradition in any significant way. If anyone has more information on this, please me know.

When a Mexican woman in line with me at the grocery store last week asked me if I was going to prepare my bag of romeritos with mole, I think my answer disappointed and perhaps confused her. Knowing my grown son’s eyes would light up when served his favorite vegetable, I replied, “No, Señora, not in mole. I am just going to cook them plain in water.”

But sometimes simple is best. For me the freshest way to enjoy romeritos is to steam them or cook them in water. Nothing else. Not one addition. There is no other food that I can think of that I prepare this way.


Cooking Suggestions:
For a traditional Mexican dish, try pairing romeritos with cactus, eggs, potatoes, or dried shrimp. Or smother them with a rich mole or pipián (pumpkin seed) sauce. Saveur magazine (saveur.com) has a recipe for Romeritos with Shrimp Cakes and The San Miguel Chronicles (thesanmiguelchronicles.com) posts a Romeritos con Mole recipe in their December 2001 archive.

For non-traditional uses, just think of how you might use spinach. Steam them or cook them in water as I do; sauté them
Italian-style with onion, garlic, raisins, and pine nuts; toss them into soup; cream them; add them to omelets; toss them with yogurt; cook them with meat or poultry stews.

Cooking Tips:
Discard any dry leaves or woody bits,
clean, and disinfect.

Remember that romeritos are naturally salty. Be sure to check the seasoning before adding any salt.



9 comments:

Latitude23 said...

Loved your article and response to lady behind you in store. Although I am going to tackle a romerito/mole recipe in new year, I love them plain. It is a great shame that there is so little nutritional information about them (actually I can't find any).

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Nice article, very informative.

My family & I travelled to Mexico for family vacation to ring in the new year. I discovered romeritos at a local grocery store and wasn't sure how to prepare them, so figured I would do it the way my mom does most veggies; Greek style~so I steamed them and added some olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon, and just a touch of salt! DElish!!! Strangely, at first it tasted/felt as if I was eating a Christmas tree:)...and then it grew on me, and I wanted more.
I have been craving them since and can't find them in Colorado. I googled them and came across your site. Interestingly enough, you mentioned they are from the evergreen family... No wonder they taste like Christmas:). Do you know where in Colorado they can be found?
Thanks so much,
Kiki

elo boost said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello can you please tell me where can I buy romeritos in Miami or a web page I can order them . Thanks

Anonymous said...

Great post about this Christmas traditional dish in Mexico, there was not a year that my mom din't have it on the table. I live in the LA area now and I found them at the central Market...tutis Romerito congelado AJ distribuido 766 Market court LA CA tel 213 216 8268 you can call here and see if they can FEDEX. Greeting from Los Angeles. Merry XMas!!! Carlos

Unknown said...

Thanks am been looking for romeritos in Apple Valley Ca

Unknown said...

Thanks am been looking for romeritos in Apple Valley Ca

He found Brick Flooring said...

This is best served with fresh bread, such as Telera or French bread – great for mopping up the mole!

Athira Ashok said...

Great post, Keep sharing
Kerala is recognized for having a broad range of spices, and you can easily buy a large selection of premium Kerala spices online at affordable costs