Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa

 Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa

Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa
by Victoria Challancin

When the temperatures begin to creep up, what could be more welcome to the palate than a taste of the islands?  In this lively recipe, fresh shrimp blend with Caribbean spices, a touch of chile, and a tangy salsa made from seasonal tropical fruits.  Fast and easy to prepare,  this dish will dazzle you with its layers of bright flavors, including allspice, thyme, and chile--the triumvirate of ingredients necessary to all good "jerk" recipes.


For a little history on jerk dishes and my own recipe for Caribbean Jerk Chicken, click here.


 Mango-Kiwi Salsa

 Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa

Cook's Notes:  The original recipe uses cantaloupe in the salsa, but as mangoes are just coming into season here (and because I love them, love them, love them...), I chose the latter to make the fruit salsa and added a kiwi as well.  Of course, they are still a bit tart, so I added a touch of honey to round out the flavor.  Pineapple would work beautifully with this recipe as well.  I also reduced the amount of thyme to 1 teaspoon instead of two as I find thyme can be overpowering.  Normally, I would use corn tortillas, but here I chose to use whole wheat flour ones.  When I make these again, as I surely will, I think I will pat the shrimp slightly dry with a paper towel.  Oh, and if you want to make this even more authentic, substitute scotch bonnet or habanero chiles for the milder jalapeño or serrano!

Recipe:  Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa
(Recipe adapted from howsweeteats.com)

For the shrimp and marinade:
1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Corn or flour tortillas
Crumbled ranch cheese/queso fresco
Lime wedges for serving

For the salsa:
1 cup chopped cantaloupe, mango, or pineapple
1 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded and diced (or to taste)
1/4 red onion, diced
1/4 cup freshly torn cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey, if needed

To make the marinade:  About 1 hour before serving, whisk together all of the spiced (the minced onion through the salt) in a medium bowl.  Add the cleaned shrimp and toss with olive oil and lime juice.  Stir to coat the shrimp well, then marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.  

To make the salsa:  While the shrimp are marinating, combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl, seasoning with the salt.  Toss well and let sit until ready to eat.

After allowing 30 minutes for marinating the shrimp, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a teaspoon or two of olive oil.  Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque throughout, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp.  Warm tortillas, if desired, then assemble tacos with shrimp, salsa, and crumbled fresh ranch cheese on top.  Serve with lime wedges.



 Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Kiwi Salsa

Trasterso, from talented designer Laura Hogan, Studio Five, San Miguel de Allende


©Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved.

Please ask permission before using text or photos.  Thanks!




10 comments:

Eha said...

For a European born Aussie girl this naturally is not everyday cooking :) ! But how fabulous and I have every ingredient in the house yet am certain I have never put thyme and allspice together! Have to try soonest tho' I shall cheat and use commercial corn tortillas, now easily available here! Meanwhile the mango-kiwi salad will be added to lunch! Thanks you for bringing your part of the world to ours!!

Hotly Spiced said...

I love the look of these. The salsa is wonderful. I would love to make it and I'm glad you made it with mangoes xx

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Great photos as always. Our tastes are very similar…I make a peach kiwi salsa when I make jerk seafood. I think it is a great pairing. I'm looking forward to that warm weather you speak of as it snowed again yesterday.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

For a moment there I thought I was headed to Mexico but plans have changed. I was so hopeful to have met with you Victoria. Perhaps one day! :D Perhaps we could share something delicious like this!

My Kitchen Stories said...

Love that salsa Victoria. the combo is so tropical and fresh looking

Nancy said...

It's already so hot and humid here, so I'm wondering what our "summer" will be like. I know I'll be eating plenty of tacos like yours -- they look incredible.

I love the designers work. When I go visit you, you must take me to her.:)

Rsgoldfast said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fifa14.vipmmobank said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris Evan Sky said...

Thank yoou for writing this

Chris Evan Sky said...

Very crreative post