Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pears and Camembert--I'll never get enough!


Pears and Camembert--I'll never get enough!
by Victoria Challancin

I admit it:  I'll never get enough of fruit with lovely cheese.  In any form.  And pears with any cheese in the world may just be the best combination!  I made this in a cooking class for Mexican cooks, who at first made faces, and then loved it.  L-o-v-e-d it.  And what's not to love?  It is so very easy and fast to prepare; it tastes delicious; and it never fails to dazzle guests.  A winner recipe--thank you Martha.

Note:  I'll be pulling this from draft mode as I will be somewhere traveling in Paris, Morocco or Turkey when I post it.  And I promise to have new recipes from the trip soon!


Brandied Pears with Rosemary and Camembert

(Recipe from Martha Stewart Living)

Note:  The cheese should be cold so it can be sliced; the glaze with warm it when 
poured
on top.  I posted another similar recipe for Roasted Pears with Gorgonzola Cheese.  
Knowing how good this combo is, I doubled the amount of pear compote...I also added 
dried cranberries for color.


1 8[oz wheel Camembert or Brie cheese, cold
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large Bosc pear, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons brandy
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
8 walnut halves


Slice cheese wheel in half crosswise, set aside.  In medium skillet over medium heat, 
melt butter.  Add diced pear, and cook until tender,about 3 minutes. Stir in brandy,and 
cook 1 minute more.  Add rosemary,and stir to combine.  Removed from heat and 
spread pear mixture over bottom half of reserved sliced cheese wheel, 
reserving 2 tablespoons mixture 
for garnish.  Transfer to a serving plate.


Return the skillet to stove, and heat balsamic vinegar and honey until simmering.  
Simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.  Set aside to cook, about 
5 minutes.  Pour half the glaze over cheese and reserved pear mixture; top with 
remaining half of cheese wheel and pears.  Drizzle with remaining glaze,and garnish 
with walnut halves and 
rosemary.  Serve immediately.


Enjoy!





Victoria Challancin

Flavors of the Sun Cooking School
San Miguel de Alllende, México

@Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved. (I'm happy to share all recipes but reserve rights to my photos--thank you!)


No comments: