Blog Archive

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Avocado Fries with Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce

Avocado Fries with Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce

Avocado Fries with Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce
by Victoria Challancin

Over and over I tell you that even though I was raised on lots of fried food, I rarely fry anything. Yep, I often insist on this. Then I turn around and give you something for some morsel that just requires a bit of frying--just a wee bit.  That hardly counts, right?  Mainly appetizers...but still, frying is required. It must be in my blood, my Southern blood.

I have seen lots of recipes for avocado fries in the past few years, but these from adventures-in-food.com particularly appealed, so I chose to try them in a class for Mexican cooks this week, knowing they would love them.  And they did.  

I have long thought that avocados deserve a more expanded treatment that the usual guacamole or a casual toss into a salad.  Remember when I shared the following with you?:


Well, today I give you a perfect appetizer, not exactly low-fat, but excellent nevertheless.  Truly, in my heart I believe that you can sneak in a bit of fried food every now and then knowing that magically the "love and appreciation" factor will make it good for the soul.

Cook's Notes:  I used three avocados instead of two just because we were hungry!  I also grated lemon zest into the breadcrumb mixture as I had no Lemon Pepper.  Miraculously, I had lemons on hand (they used to be quite rare here), but limes would work equally well.  I upped the ante for the ground cumin as well...just because I like it so much.

Recipe:  Avocado Fries with Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce
(Original recipe from Adventures in Cooking)

Avocado Fries:
Oil for frying
3 Hass avocados
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cup Panko
1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper or grated lemon or lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce:
5 tablespoons mayonnaise (or Ranch Dressing, preferably homemade)
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, salt, and cumin.  Set it aside.  Cut the avocados in half and slice vertically into 4-inch x 3/4-inch wedges.  Set them aside.

Heat the vegetable oil to 335 degrees F in a large frying pan, adding enough oil so that the oil is about 3 inches deep.  

Dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumb mixture, then in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture again.

Place the avocado slices in the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.  Remove them with a slotted spoon or tongs, and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.  Allow them to dry for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a serving tray and serve immediately with the Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce.

For the Cilantro-Lemon Dipping Sauce:  place the mayonnaise, cilantro, and lemon juice in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy in texture.

Angus
To those of you who emailed me or sent loving comments about my sick puppy, I give sincere thanks.  After two rounds of different meds plus injections for a liver infection, he wasn't getting better.  Today the vet took him to put him on an iv.  Please keep sending those loving thoughts.  I am worried sick about him.

On a lighter note...

Parting Shot:  Morocco 
 My itinerary for the Morocco Trip for April of 2014 is ready!  For more information, please email me at flavorsofthesun@gmail.com.  Thanks!



©Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved.
Please ask permissions before using photos or text.  Thanks!






9 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Wow, this looks really great Victoria. Nice to meet you. I started following you a while back but I haven't seen your posts till today. I have to try that. Avocados deep fried. Sounds really good. Thanks you.
Gloria
http://shininglife1.blogspot.com/

Eha said...

I have always believed in priorities: so, first of all every good health bearing wish to Angus to give him the strenth he needs to try and overcome this unexpected liver attack. Vicki: please you look after yourself too!!

Love avocado ~ could eat it every day and am so glad you put down all the links to recipes you have prepared before. Hmm, you know frying and I are not good friends, but this looks so moreish, especially with the dipping sauce I'll just have to try. A special big plate of 'appetizers' on the day Angus lad comes home! Big hug!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

We just visited the Dallas state fair where so many things are deep fried! But not avocado and I wish they had it so that I could have tried it. It sounds delicious :D

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I'm sure a plate full of these would disappear in our home very quickly.

Hotly Spiced said...

I've never heard of deep-fried avocado. That looks and sounds fabulous and it must be wonderful with the lovely dipping sauce. I'm so sorry to hear about your precious dog. I do hope he's making a good recovery at the vets. xx

Nancy said...

I have wanted to try these since I first heard about them last year. The cilantro-lime sauce sounds like a fantastic addition!

Joan Nova said...

Totally decadent but absolutely enticing. I'd be the first to dig in! I would think fresh lemon zest is better.

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! Based on your photo and recipe, I want some of these right now, true!
Cheers! Joanne
Viewed as part of Nancy's YBR Oct Round Up

Nagi@RecipeTinEats said...

Avocado fries is something unique to try. But I guess I would like to try it and see how it taste. :D