Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Watercress, Mizuna, and Grapefruit Salad with Curry Vinaigrette

Watercress, Mizuna, and Grapefruit Salad with Curry Vinaigrette

Watercress, Mizuna, and Grapefruit Salad with Curry Vinaigrette
by Victoria Challancin

Before I made this salad, I can honestly say that I never thought to add curry powder to a vinaigrette.  Somehow it just sounds wrong.  But how off was I on this one.  This salad is a delight!  The tartness of the grapefruit, the sweetness of the dates, the peppery taste of the cress and mizuna, and the complexity of the curry flavors make this such an interesting dish.  


Recipe:  Watercress, Mizuna, and Grapefruit Salad with Curry Vinaigrette
(Recipe from myrecipes.com, Cooking Light)

4 cups trimmed watercress
4 cups torn frisée (about 1 head)
1 cup red grapefruit secionts (about 2 grapefruits)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
8 whole pitted dates, sliced
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon good quality curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons grapeseed oil

Arrange watercress and frisée on a large platter, and top evenly with grapefruit, onion, and dates.

Combine vinegar, curry powder, and salt in a small bowl, and slowly add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.  Drizzle over salad.  Serve immediately.

I am entering this recipe as a part of the YBR event from utterly fabulous and talented Nancy, of Spicie Foodie.  Be sure to check out her terrific roundup of best recipes from around the blog world!

Parting Shot:

A local cafe...

©Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved.

Like life and love, recipes are meant to be shared, but please ask permission before using photos and text.  Thanks!




10 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

Yum, Victoria. Curry powder definitely goes with salads. I like the dates and grapefruit here. :-)

Eha said...

Lesson of the Day: always visit Vicki's post before making lunch! I can make your curry vinaigrette in about half an hour! Never thought of it either. Well, homegrown mibuna will be substituted for mizuna which has finished in my garden and rice bran oil [my new fave] for the grapeseed one, but think I'll be forgiven :) ! The final shot of the cafe is making me smile: am a wrong or are you having a wee smile there?

Hotly Spiced said...

I love how the dressing has white balsamic in it - love that vinegar. What a refreshing salad and I think the dressing would be perfectly balanced by the greens and the dates xx

Eha said...

Just a little later: vinaigrette thoroughly enjoyed. Used it as a BIG side next to plain grilled fish . . .

Joan Nova said...

So funny ... when I read the title of the post, I said in my head exactly the same thing as you said in your first sentence! And then I thought, the fruit might be a really nice contrast. Apparently, it was and I'll definitely try it one day.

Nancy said...

Curry powder can be great with the most unusual ingredients. Your salad and vinaigrette sound amazing! Thanks for sharing Victoria. Y que bonita cafe!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like that idea of adding curry powder to a vinaigrette!! I'm going to try it on my next salad Victoria, thank you! :)

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I love curry in chicken salad so I know that I would love it in your salad...the flavors sound terrific, by the way. I've been thinking about you, are you home from your trip now?

Victoria of Flavors of the Sun said...

Yes, Karen, I'm back! Such a grand trip in every way. Will be posting soon (surely) about all.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

I make a curried dressing for a quinoa salad but yours over watercress, mizuna and grapefruit is calling me. Loudly.