Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Part I: Paris: Market Day in the 5th!

The French love their flowers...


Part I:  Paris:  Market Day in the 5th!
by Victoria Challancin


In Honor of Bastille Day...

It doesn't matter what city or country I am in, I head first to the local markets to get my bearings.  In Marrakech, Bangkok, Rome, Istanbul, Mexico City, or Paris it is the same:  the market is my own way of understanding the culture, of glimpsing la vie quotidienne, of tasting from the sidelines the heart of the place.  I see what people value, what is important; I see people having their being in the surroundings that have meaning to their lives; I see the that which carries meaning in daily life.

In May, when I was in Paris, I planned my week according to the market days.  These photos were taken at the Place Maubert Market on the Boulevard St. Germaine in the fifth arrondissement, a place I frequent every trip.  


and the most perfect produce...

and charcuterie...

white asparagus...

vinegars of every sort..homemade and enticing...


cheeses, bien sûr...

mustard...how quintessentially French

foie gras...la vie quotidienne...

every possible type of honey...

jams and confitures...

oh, and did I mention the freshest, freshest produce imaginable?



©Victoria Challancin.  All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Victoria, I do the same! :D I always like to see what's good there and then you can get an idea of what to order if you eat out too! :) And it's always nice going where the locals go too :)